Saturday, February 6, 2010

Ji Xiang Ang Ku Kueh


Ang ku kueh, literally translated as red tortoise cake in Hokkien, is a Chinese pastry of steamed rice flour filled with green bean paste or roasted peanut. When I was at Everton Park recently to buy pineapple tarts for Chinese New Year, I came across Ji Xiang Confectionery which I read on the Internet has one of the best ang ku kueh in Singapore.


With a fabulous variety of ang ku kueh ranging from sweet bean paste to savory bean paste, peanut, corn, coconut, sesame and durian, I decided to try the traditional sweet bean paste ang ku kueh which costs $0.60. The special rice flour skin is amazingly smooth and chewy yet does not stick onto the teeth at all. Just right in terms of sweetness, the fragrant bean paste filling is delightfully soft and melts gently in the mouth.

Although I am not a fan of ang ku kueh, I was certainly impressed by that from Ji Xiang Confectionery. Do also try its highly recommended pineapple tarts which make an excellent gift for Chinese New Year.

7.5/10

Ji Xiang Confectionery
Blk 1 Everton Park
#01-33
Closed on Sundays and Public Holidays

No comments:

Google