Thursday, October 23, 2008

Song Fa Bak Kut Teh


According to wikipedia, bak kut teh (which is literally translated as "meat bone tea") is a complex broth of herbs and spices boiled with pork ribs for hours. Thus the essence of this dish lies in the flavour of the soup and the fingerlicking goodness of the pork ribs.

The famous Song Fa Bak Kut Teh is located directly opposite The Central at Clarke Quay. When I went there on a Saturday night, the place was filled with customers.


I ordered a bowl of bak kut teh and a bowl of rice which cost $6 together. Concentrated with the distinctive aroma of spices and the delightful sweetness of pork ribs, the mouthwatering soup is savory but not overly spicy or bitter. The pork ribs, though not the highlight of the dish, could have been more meaty and tasty.

My mum makes delicious bak kut teh too but of course, compared with the famous Song Fa, hers is less savory, more peppery and more bitter. Nevertheless, since I am not a big fan of bak kut teh, I really don't mind the difference.

7/10

Song Fa Bak Kut Teh
11 New Bridge Road
#01-01

3 comments:

hanriktan said...

is this place air-condition?

feel free to peep my blog too :P

http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/hanriktan

Anonymous said...

I just went there this afternoon thinking that I can enjoy some-nice BahKutTeh that a friend recommended.

Despite having some awards, the Bah Kut Teh does not taste that great in overall. The smell for example is not as strong as one Bah Kut Teh stall I used to it at Kallang/Geylang area.

And it costs $5.50 for a small bowl of 3-pork-ribs (ONLY), not worth it to me.

Please do recommend if you happen to know any better stall.

Cheers

Anonymous said...

Yeah, traditional herbal Bak Kut Teh still the best. This pepper taste soup not my favour.

Google