Monday, November 19, 2007

Tiong Bahru Yi Sheng Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee


This fried hokkien mee at Bukit Merah has been discussed on our local food blogs and forums, compared to the likes of Kim's and Nam Sing. When I went down to ABC Food Centre for lunch today, I was surprised to see no queue in front of Yi Sheng Hokkien Mee. After all I had the impression that the length of the queue is somewhat proportional to the standard of the food.


I ordered a plate of $4 fried hokkien mee which comes with 3 medium sized prawns and generous servings of sotong. The delicious noodles are thoroughly fried in mouthwatering prawn broth with a delightful charcoal aroma and flavorful taste. The distinguishing factor in Yi Sheng's Hokkien Mee is its special homemade chilli which is fabulously savory and extremely complementary to the noodles.

Somehow I feel that Yi Sheng fried hokkien mee resembles Geylang Lor 29's in terms of taste and consistency, although Yi Sheng is less oily and more tasty. Compared with Kim's, I still feel that Kim's is much better in terms of culinary skills.

7/10

Tiong Bahru Yi Sheng Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee
ABC Brickworks Food Centre
6 Jalan Bukit Merah #01-13
Closed on Wednesdays

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I never liked Geylang Lor 29 Fried Hokkien Mee at East Coast... The noodles are too oily... The chilli is mediocre... The service is poor... I don't think I'll like Yi Sheng too...

Google