Saturday, November 22, 2008

Wee Nam Kee Hainanese Chicken Rice


When I was working at Novena yesterday, I had the craving for chicken rice and was contemplating between Wee Nam Kee opposite Novena Square and Boon Tong Kee in Balestier. After all, these are two famous Hainanese chicken rice in Singapore which I have not tried.


I finally settled for Wee Nam Kee because of proximity and it was indeed impressive. Reasonably priced at $4, the chicken rice set for one person comes with a plate of steamed white chicken, a bowl of rice and a bowl of soup. The authentic chilli paste, which is sufficiently savory and spicy, is definitely one of the best chicken rice chilli I have tasted. It complements the golden yellow chicken rice which is delightfully fragrant and flavorful. The steamed white chicken, though tasty and tender, would have been more appetizing if it were more fatty and fleshy. Filled with the essence of chicken broth and the sweetness of yellow beans, the delicious soup readily quenches the flames of the scorching chilli paste.

Along the likes of Five Star, Sin Kee and Pow Sing, Wee Nam Kee certainly qualifies as one of the best Hainanese chicken rice in Singapore. Besides chicken rice, Wee Nam Kee also has a variety of cze char dishes that are worth trying.

7.5/10

Wee Nam Kee Hainanese Chicken Rice
275 Thomson Road
#01-05 Novena Ville

1 comment:

Monday Chimps said...

It's funny how someone once told me...you got to try the Hainanese Chicken Rice at Wee Nam Kee, It's the second best chicken rice in Singapore! Woot!? Haha Second Best only? Nevertheless I love it! Except for the ambiance & old utensils! I think I have OCD!

Nice blog BTW!

Google