Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Punggol Nasi Lemak


When I walked past Punggol Nasi Lemak Center today, I was very surprised to see only 3 people in the queue. On average I would expect around 15 people queuing at any time. So I jumped at the opportunity to try this so-called Singapore's best Nasi Lemak.

To start with, there is a wide selection of side dishes to choose from including fried chicken, tempura prawns, fried sotong balls, fish fillet, fried egg, curry vegetables, fried long beans, ikan bilis and otah etc.


After much hesitation, I chose fried chicken drumstick, fried egg and curry vegetables to accompany my nasi lemak and it costs a reasonable $3.90.

The rice is above average but not fantastic, somewhat lacking in the characteristic coconut fragrance found in the famous changi village nasi lemak. The samba chilli is special, not overly sweet or spicy and has a unique shrimp aroma. The fried chicken drumstick is huge, crispy and definitely value for money.

I won't call this the best nasi lemak in Singapore but it is no doubt one of the best. One question you might ask is, if it is really so good, why are there only 4 people (including me) in the queue? Indeed, by the time I finished eating, there were 20 people in the queue. I was just very lucky to be there at the right time.

7/10

Punggol Nasi Lemak Center
965 Upper Serangoon Road
Opening hours: 6pm to 5am
Closed on Thursday

2 comments:

Alex said...

I have to agree with you that it's pricey. I lived in Sengkang. It was much better when it was situated on the opposite (behind the open space carpark). But now, I NEVER go there anymore.

Very simple reason : it's a ripoff. It tastes above average I agree, but it's certainly over- over- priced! A friend who heard this for so long went with me to try, I didn't want to disappoint so I kept quiet, till he complain to me it's SUPER EXPENSIVE! He even said it tasted just so-so.

So don't be deceived by it's long queue and stuff. It's really way over-priced, definitely not worth travelling all the way if you do not live in the east side just to try it.

It's my 2 cents even though some may disagree.

Unknown said...

somemore an expensive one....

Google